Teachers are invited and strongly encouraged to attend the summer Greater New Orleans Science and Engineering Fair (GNOSEF) Teacher Workshop titled “Using a Phenomena-Based Approach to Learning to Engage Students in Science and Engineering.” The in-person workshop will take place at Tulane University (Uptown Campus) from 9:00am to 1:30pm on Saturday, June 25th. Lunch will be provided.
Thanks to ISEF Equitable Access Grant, a limited number of participating teachers who teach in the parishes of Orleans, Jefferson, Plaquemines, and St. Bernard will receive a $100 stipend. In order to be eligible for the stipend, teachers must fully participate and complete a survey after the workshop. We also welcome teachers to participate from outside of the GNOSEF region, but we cannot guarantee stipends at this time. All teachers including those who teach outside of this 4-parish region should sign up on the form below.
For teachers in the region, in order to ensure that you will have a spot in the PD, we are requiring a $25 deposit fee. Upon completion of the teacher PD, each teacher will receive a $100 stipend plus $25 deposit back mailed to their home address. Teachers will not receive their $25 deposit back if they do not attend. After online registration, we will email with instructions to submit the $25 registration fee.
9-10am (Teachers, Administrators & Curriculum Specialists)
• Why engage your students in science and engineering competitions?
• Resources available: STEM Library Lab and Mentoring Program
• GNOSEF: what is it and what are the outcomes?
10am-1:30pm (for Teachers… Administrators & Curriculum Specialists welcome to stay)
• 10am-11am: Getting Started
• 11am-11:30am: Lunch (provided)
• 11:30 – 12:30pm: How To Find Interesting, Engaging Projects
• 12:30pm-1:30pm: Taking Advantage of Available Community Connections and Resources